Brentwood Gas Leak A Close Call

BRENTWOOD (KDKA) – Residents of a Brentwood neighborhood endured some tense moments.

Several homes in the 4000-block of Cloverlea Street were evacuated because of a gas leak around 11 a.m. Monday.

“Gas meter was spinning like a top,” Brentwood Fire Chief Lee Price said.

“Upon searching the residence, we found the house at 4050 Cloverlea that the meter was spinning,” Prince said. “No sign of any residents in the house.”

According to the fire marshal, there was enough gas in the home to blow it up. With no one inside, emergency responders had to break in to find the source of the leaking gas.

Allegheny County Fire Marshal Don Brucker spent the rest of the day trying to determine if the gas that filled the house and the neighborhood was accidental.

Initially, it was suspected the burners on the stove were left on; however, the fire marshal says that was not the case.

Turns out it was an uncapped gas line from most likely a gas grill. The outcome could have been very different.

“The gas and electricity has been shut off to the structure and will not be turned on until the gas company – they have somebody come out that can check the gas line for leaks inside the house,” Brucker said. “Once the gas lines are fixed inside the house, the power will be turned back on.”

Stay With For More Details


More Local News
More Brentwood News
More Reports From Lynne Hayes-Freeland

More from Lynne Hayes-Freeland

One Comment

  1. Holy Cow Batman says:

    What the heck?? Why would someone turn on all of the burners on their stove and leave?? Hmmmmmmmm……..maybe it was a test………

  2. duh says:

    Kristine reports the house Could have been Blown to Smitherines!!!!!! and the snow storm Could have been a sunami

  3. eazytime says:

    Is the house getting ready to be under foreclosure?
    Gas jets let on the stove.
    Uhm. Just a thought.

  4. Mayor of GBD says:

    more likely the gas to air mixture was too rich, over the Upper Explosive Limit(UEL) to allow ignition. Only after the “seal” was broke and gas could escape and fall back between the UEL and the LEL (Lower Explosive Limit) could it ignite….and only then if it found an ignition source.

  5. bvfc member says:

    lee price is fire chief of whitehall, not brentwood.

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Play It
Get The All New CBS Local App

Listen Live