Local

Brentwood Gas Leak A Close Call

View Comments
(Credit: KDKA)

(Credit: KDKA)

FREELAND-WEB-HEADSHOT-2013 Lynne Hayes-Freeland
Lynne Hayes-Freeland is a general assignment reporter known for live,...
Read More

BRENTWOOD (KDKA) – Residents of a Brentwood neighborhood endured some tense moments.

Several homes in the 4000-block of Cloverlea Street were evacuated because of a gas leak around 11 a.m. Monday.

“Gas meter was spinning like a top,” Brentwood Fire Chief Lee Price said.

“Upon searching the residence, we found the house at 4050 Cloverlea that the meter was spinning,” Prince said. “No sign of any residents in the house.”

According to the fire marshal, there was enough gas in the home to blow it up. With no one inside, emergency responders had to break in to find the source of the leaking gas.

Allegheny County Fire Marshal Don Brucker spent the rest of the day trying to determine if the gas that filled the house and the neighborhood was accidental.

Initially, it was suspected the burners on the stove were left on; however, the fire marshal says that was not the case.

Turns out it was an uncapped gas line from most likely a gas grill. The outcome could have been very different.

“The gas and electricity has been shut off to the structure and will not be turned on until the gas company – they have somebody come out that can check the gas line for leaks inside the house,” Brucker said. “Once the gas lines are fixed inside the house, the power will be turned back on.”

Stay With KDKA.com For More Details

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Brentwood News
More Reports From Lynne Hayes-Freeland

View Comments
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,254 other followers