5-Year-Old Injured In Dog Attack

HERMINIE (KDKA) — A 5-year-old boy underwent facial surgery Friday night after he was reportedly attacked by a dog.

Family members say Hayden Stoll suffered a broken jaw and nerve damage. He also may need plastic surgery.

“It’s the first time in my life I’ve ever felt powerless,” said William Stoll, Hayden’s father. “Nothing I could do to help him.”

The boy’s parents say he was playing with his sister in front of their home in Herminie when a pit bull attacked him.

The boy’s father and grandfather jumped in to get the dog off.

“My husband’s like trying to get it off of him, and he couldn’t get it off of him,” said Jennifer Stoll, Hayden’s mother. “I ran, got towels and I was so scared cause it’s like a nightmare. You just can’t forget.”

The dog had no collar and no identification tags.

It was quarantined at a kennel following the incident.

RELATED LINKS:
More News from Westmoreland County

Comments

1. Pinball Shawn says:

Best wishes little guy! That’s a horrible thing to go through. Nobody should have to suffer that kind of attack, especially a little kid.

2. raul says:

How long before all the pit bull apologist come on here and tell us what great animals these dogs are?

Hope the little guy is ok!!

3. rose says:

Yes, it’s terrible, I hope the boy is o.k.. The dog should NOT be blamed because of his breed. Having worked with animals, I have seen vicious chihuahuas, yorkies shih-tzus, etc. Ihave also seen pit bulls, rottweilers , dobermans, etc., that were afraid of their own shadows. Maybe at least part of the blame should go to the dog caretaker for not socializing and giving the dog proper training and to the parents who did not teach their child how to react around strange animals.

1. Karen says:

wow… part of the blame to the parents of the 5 year old playing in his own yard???? this dog needs to be exterminated!! i would rather go up against a yorkie over a pit bull any day.

2. Dog caregiver says:

I’m betting that this Pit was on this little boy before he even had a chance to react. Or the other scenario could have been that he ran away from the “strange” dog, and the dog’s chase instinct took over. Terriers are a tenacious breed. So you have the audacity to blame the parents for their training of how a five year old should react when faced with a strong, bred for fighting, Pit Bull… I have cared for dogs all of my adult life, and I refuse to take a Pit into my home because they are just too volatile.

3. raul says:

Thanks Rose, it took almost an hour for someone to come on here and spew non sense about these dogs.

You really are clueless.

4. willie says:

yeah, look at all the vicious chihuhua and yorkie attacks every week. Get real. What a stupid reply. kid was in his own yard. You pitbull lovers are sickos no one needs a killer dog like this

1. pit bull punks says:

it just boosts their coolness so they think they got it from these street punk ass thugs who if said boo to theyd run home to momma thats why junior is always in my back pocket

5. John says:

Blame the victim? Wow, you are your own breed amongst mankind. A breed that should be spayed.

Good job calling this one raul.

6. bedhead says:

Of course any breed can be dangerous BUT the size of , and the power of, and the physical prowess of pit bulls is the problem. Sure a chihuahua or yorkie could also bite BUT they are 12 inches off the ground so maybe they grab a leg. They would not have a childs head in their mouth and pull him to the ground. Whether you like it or not, pit bulls are dangerous.

4. Bill says:

I love animals. I LOVE THEM, but pit bulls were bred for fighting. All these people say over and over, “it’s all in how they are raised” Well guess what. That isn’t true!! What about the woman that was killed by the little pit bull that she raised from a puppy. Sweetest dog in the world, till it turned on her and her husband came home and found her dead!!! DEAD!! These dogs need to be exterminated. Period. Let it happen to your own child or someone YOU love and see if you still stick up for them. You never hear about German Shepards or English Bulldogs attacking and killing people and animals! Let ONE hurt my child and I will kill every single Pit Bull I see. I don’t care. You people and your “it can’t happen to me” attitude. This poor little boy. He didn’t deserve this! I would kill every pit bull there was just to prevent ONE accident. This is coming from a true animal lover.

5. karen says:

I agree with you 100% finally someone with common sense about these dogs and wanting to keep our children safe.

1. karen says:

i wanted to post this under Bill”s post…

6. GC says:

Please eliminate this dog breed, kill them all now before another kid gets injured or killed!

7. so sad says:

Just finished reading a bunch of comments on another tv website that had many coming to the defense of Pit Bulls. These dogs should require a special license to own. They seem to keep falling into the hands of ignorant people. That being said, the focus should be on this sweet child and his family! Prayers going out to them and justice in finding the owner of “dog”.

8. No Pits says:

Sadly, it will probably take some politition’s kid getting chewed up before they outlaw this breed…I’ve often thought to myself that I’ll have to start carrying my 9mm pistol……you never know,you could be walking down the street and one of them will come tearing after you

9. willie says:

again another fun family dog-pit bull is to blame. if you own one of these killer dogs, you should have to pay a 5,000 dollar permit, yearly. They kill and maim thousands of people,pets every year. pure breed killers.

10. Tracy says:

I read that this was a Rottie that did the attack. That’s what the other channel said earlier… so is it a Pittie or a Rottie?

I own a GSD, have had nothing but GSD’s and I’d NEVER own a Pit or a Rot. They’re pretty to look at, and my SIL has a Pit mix, but not me. Nope.. I just don’t want a dog that I couldn’t trust around either my kids or someone else’s. Hope the boy comes out of all of this ok. Poor thing.

1. MsCynic says:

Photos of the dog at the scene (with the blood still on him) show a large Blue/white Pit bull mix! Obviously owned by idiots, but that doesn’t change the end result. Dog needs euthanized, owners need found, then fined!!

11. Trying again says:

First off, I wish this poor boy nothing but the best on a speedy recovery. Very sad.

About the pitbull defense. Yes, for the most part the actions of the breed (any/all breeds) is a reflection of the owner. So yes, pitt bulls can and are good breeds at times. But they are the breed that MANY people use as intimidation/fighting. g@ngb@ngers don’t walk lawrenceville with chihuahuas. If laws won’t/can’t stop this from happening then they need to remove this breed. Or, as a trade-off, remove from the gene pool those that raise these dogs to be aggressive. Enough is enough.

1. Trying again says:

guess g@ngb@ngers is a bad kdka word if you don’t disguise it…

12. panda says:

funny thing is…. it wasn’t a pit bull that did this attack. my source is my cousin who works at the hhs(where the dog is at). its a rottie mix.second, pit bull was NEVER mentioned by them. my 11 year old neighbor was severely attacked by a golden retriever, that the police and animal control called it a pit bull, it wasn’t till they scanned its microchip till they found out it was a golden. many of the emergency responders and even news reporters assume its a pit bull, when in fact most reported pit bull attacks are either mixed breeds or totally different breeds. id link up a “photo test”, that has many pictures of dogs that look like pitbulls, but only one is. i guarantee whoever asks wont be able to identify the pit. also there is something called the temperament test, that tests different breeds on “how mean they are”, guess what breed scores in the top percent of the class every year? you can’t argue facts… you can believe the news, if you want to be foolish.

1. Jerry says:

It was a Pitbull, according to the article. If it wasn’t, please provide a link disproving this article.

2. MsCynic says:

STOP referring to the ATTS test as a guidelines about the stability of the Pit Bull! It’s a pre-test for things like Schutzhund, etc… Checks dogs defense of handler, and has certain areas where aggression is not only expected but encouraged!!! Your average Golden or Collie WOULD fail this test, but MOST people wouldn’t really want a dog that passed in their life! Jeez, get an education. My dog took this test months ago, and passed with flying colors, but, NO, most people could not live with her!

13. Jess says:

This makes me sad and I hope the lil guy recovers, but it also makes me sad to see soo many people blame the breed of dog,not the owner of the dog. I know many pit bulls that are perfectly great around small children, my 1 yr old niece loves playing with her uncles 2 pits and they are big teddy bears with her. I have a husky who after about 2 weeks won my boyfriend over from a “scarey wolf dog” to an amazing animal without a mean bone in her body due to HOW SHE WAS RAISED. I had a Shepard/chow mix as a kid and I remember my parents going thru 2 insurance companies for house coverage since they said she was high on the bite list, yet she was raised to be so gentle she would barely eat out of your hand and never even growled. My heart goes out to the family, but for people on here blaming the breed it’s ridiculous, any dog can be mean if you make it that way, some do have a high prey drive , as does my husky but she is best friends with lil kids and my cats the same…people need to be educated before they get a dog they don’t know how to treat or want to use for bad intentions.

14. Dawn says:

It was a Rott…I know someone who is friends with the family. People should be thinking of the family right now not jumping the gun and blaming a pit bull as soon as they hear of an attack by a dog. How ANY dog is raised determines its temperament – dogs aren’t born mean and vicious, they become that way as a product of their environment. If the news had reported this boy had been attacked by a poodle it probably wouldn’t even make headlines and every one would be focused on the little boy. Mention the words pit bull attack and suddenly its a top story and every one has to put their two cents in about how bad the breed is NOT on wishing the child a speedy recovery. Shame on you KDKA for not reporting this story accurately and getting people in an uproar yet again about pit bulls.

1. Try again says:

And I know someone who has a friend whos aunt went to school with the son of a neighbor who heard that the friend of a dad said that the person you know who is a friend of the family is full of sheit.

2. Try again says:

Claim: If the news had reported this boy had been attacked by a poodle it probably wouldn’t even make headlines

Here ya go: http://www.wboc.com/global/story.asp?S=10769319

Kinda embarrassing being wrong, isn’t it?

3. MsCynic says:

Way off buddy – showed a photo of the ugly scuker on the news – BLUE AND WHITE PIT BULL! Not a rottweiler (black and tan)!! Jeez people, not that it matters, euthanize the dog, fined the owners then FINE the owners and possibly charge them if it’s happened before.

1. MsCynic says:

15. dan says:

just a test since my comments seem to be blocked

16. dan says:

For people who say

1. dan says:

it’s how a dog is raised

2. dan says:

that’s pie in the sky hoping

3. dan says:

you can’t take a lion cub and raise it at home and expect it to be domesticated.

4. dan says:

Many of the current pitt bull blood lines are from people raising them to fight.

5. dan says:

You can’t take that lineage and claim that one good owner will turn them around.

17. bedhead says:

18. lochfyne says:

It’s not the breed of dog that matters here. What matters is the fact that this beautiful child was savagely attacked in his own yard. The owners of the dog should be made accountable and should indeed pay for all medical bills. Let’s hope that the authorities find the owners and enforce them to financially help the family and this little boy.

Comments are closed.