Chef Bill Fuller: Kaya Fried Chicken
This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, is back in the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen whipping up a special slaw and fried chicken!
Kaya Fried Chicken
1 ea. Chicken, cut into thighs, drummies, wings, breasts
1-2 C. Buttermilk
Peanut oil for deep frying
Fresh flour tortillas
The day before:
1. Prepare Brine
2. Immerse chicken parts in Brine. Cover and place in the refrigerator over night.
The day of:
1. Remove chicken from Brine. Discard Brine.
2. Lay chicken on a clean, dry towel on a sheet pan. Allow to dry completely.
3. Make Kaya Slaw, Chipotle Barbecue, Seasoned Flour.
4. Remove chicken from towel and place in a shallow baking dish. Cover to barely coat with buttermilk. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
5. Prepare deep fryer, either a home fryer or a heavy sided pot. Place a candy thermometer in oil. Bring to 350.
6. Remove a few pieces of chicken from the buttermilk. Toss in flower. Shake off excess.
7. Place in fryer oil. Cook until chicken begins to float. You may want to turn it once. Drain on paper towels.
8. Repeat with remaining chicken.
9. We like to eat the chicken with the tortillas by pulling some of the meat off the bone, placing it on a tortilla, and adding Kaya Slaw and Chipotle Barbecue.
½ C. Sugar
½ C. Salt
1 qt. water
1 ea. Bay leaf
4 ea. Black peppercorns
2 ea. Whole allspice
1. Place all ingredients in a non-reactive pot.
2. Bring to a boil. Allow to cool completely.
1 ea. White onions, chopped
1 ea 7 oz. cans chipotle peppers
3 # honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
tiny pinch ground cloves
¼ C. Soy sauce
½ tsp Ground Allspice
1. Combine ingredients in a non-reactive pot.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
3. Puree with caution.
1 hd Cabbage
1 ea. Red bell pepper
1 ea Small yellow onion
1 tsp. Finely grated fresh ginger
1 tsp Finely grated fresh horseradish
1 ea Medium carrot
¼ C. White sugar
¼ C. Kosher salt
½ C. Whoite vinegar
½ C. Freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ C. Freshly squeezed lime juice
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Julienne cabbage, peppers, and onions.
2. Grate the carrots on a box grater.
3. Combine ingredients and dress with sugar, salt, pepper, red wine and white vinegar, and citrus juice.
4. Allow to stand for at least 1 hour before serving.
Seasoned Flour for Fried Chicken
4 C. All Purpose Flour
1 Tbs. Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbs Paprika
1 Tbs Ground black pepper
1 Tbs. Ground cumin
2 Tbs Onion powder
1 Tbs. Garlic powder
¼ C. Salt
1. Mix together