PITTSBURGH (CBS) — If there’s one optical illusion women would love to achieve, it’s dressing to look slimmer.
There are so many styles, designs and colors to choose from, and the ones you choose can make all the difference in the way you look.
“This generation has learned different fashion tricks,” says Helga Plenzio, style consultant with The Dress Barn.
She has more than a few of those tricks up her sleeve when it comes to looking svelte.
Plenzio advises her clients at The Dress Barn to re-think some of their choices to better show off their beautiful figures:
1. The Long Necklace: Plenzio says if you’re wearing a cardigan with a beautiful blouse, you can bring color in with a long necklace and it will create that “long” look.
2. The Handbag: Small bags don’t do as much to “camouflage” difficult areas. If you choose a larger than usual handbag, it draws attention to the purse instead of the hips.
3. The Pencil Skirt: Plenzio says women who want to downplay the lower half of the body should avoid flared skirts and go with a pencil skirt instead for a slimmer look.
4. The Structured Silhouette: Many women choose loose, baggy clothes if they are heavier on top or in the middle, but choosing a top with shape and/or belt creates a waist.
5. The Skinny Jean: Feared by many, it can actually make you look longer and leaner and accentuate beautiful curves.
Bottom line, the right choices can make a big difference and can change your look from frumpy to fabulous. Can you hide, say 20 pounds?
“Yes,” says Plenzio. “With the right clothing, you would be surprised. I think that you can pull that off, that really slim, lean look!”
You just need to showcase yourself the right, slimmer way.