kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Child, 4, Dies From Injuries In Indiana Co. Fire

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WEST MAHONING TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A 4-year-old Amish boy who was injured along with his brother and father in an Indiana County fire has passed away.

The fire broke out Tuesday at the family’s home in West Mahoning Township.

The boy’s father was trying to start a fire in a wood stove to keep his family warm, when something went terribly wrong and the stove caught on fire.

The flames quickly spread in the family’s Griffith Road home. All three victims had burns over more than 50-percent of their bodies.

All were flown to UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, where 4-year-old Irvin Hostetler died at 5:52 a.m. Wednesday.

His father and brother remain in critical condition.

“We’re hoping they will pull through. It’s all in God’s hands now,” Eli Byler said.

Damage was not visible on the outside of the house and the home should be able to be repaired.

For now, the Amish community in Indiana County is coming together to pray for a father and son.

“The father was burned severely. One of the ladies that – I guess she’s the lady that came down to make the call – she said he was standing outside with his clothes burned off,” Clifford Griffith said.

“He was using kerosene to light the fire in his wood stove and it flash-pointed and come back out and that’s how they got burned the three of them. The kids were beside him when he was lighting the stove on fire,” Plumville Fire Chief Joe Brendle said.

Hostetler died as a result of respiratory failure due to inhalation and burns to over 90 percent of his body.

Stay With KDKA.com For More Details

RELATED LINKS:

Father, Sons Hospitalized After Indiana County Fire
3 Injured In Indiana Co. Fire
More News from Indiana County

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,101 other followers