Local

Fire Alarm Prompts Evacuation At Convention Center

(Credit: KDKA VIEWER)

(Credit: KDKA VIEWER)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The David L. Lawrence Convention Center was evacuated after a fire alarm went off.

This happened at about 9 p.m. The convention center is hosting the 2012 Pittsburgh Auto Show.

A spokesperson for the Auto Show told KDKA-TV a space heater overheated and caused the alarm to sound.

He says the space heater belonged to a group called Jubilee that is also holding an event at the convention center.

The spokesperson said the evacuation was orderly, but people at the show say it was a tense situation because a lot people were moving toward the doors at the same time.

“We’re inside, walking around looking at the cars and then a fire alarm went off and they told everyone to exit to the nearest exit and don’t use the elevators,” a witness said.

Stay with KDKA for the latest developments.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,172 other followers