This comfort-food classic from Weight Watchers’ Mary Vogliano is a delicious dish that is sure to get everyone on the table the minute it comes out of the oven!
Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 35 min
3/4 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), spicy-variety, casings removed
1 medium uncooked onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
28 oz canned diced tomatoes
10 oz frozen green peas, thawed
2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions
6 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.