Although spring is right around the corner, this is a delicious dish sure to keep you warm and happy for those remaining cold winter nights, compliments of Market District Chef Benjamin D’Amico.
Pink Peppercorn and Morel Cream Sauce
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 10-12 dried morel mushrooms, rehydrated in 2/3 cup of water
- 1/2 cup reserved morel mushroom water
- 1 Tbsp pink peppercorns, freshly ground
- 1 Tsp kosher salt
1. To Rehydrate Mushrooms: Simply place the amount that you will be using into a bowl & fill it with enough hot water to cover the mushrooms. The rehydration process usually only takes 3-5 minutes. Many mushrooms such as Porcini have a very fragrant aroma, which will infuse into the water when rehydrated. This “mushroom stock” can be used to enhance soups, sauces, & broths. For this recipe we are rehydrating the mushrooms in about 2/3 cup of water, which will later be used to enhance the sauce.
2. Making the Sauce: Combine all the ingredients except for the heavy cream & salt into a small sauce pan & heat over medium for 2-3 minutes. Next add in the heavy cream & stir gently with a spoon. Allow this mixture to come to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow the sauce to reduce for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Once sauce has reached the desired thickness add in the salt to taste.
3. For Serving: Spoon about 1-2 spoonful’s of sauce over your favorite cut of grilled Market District Certified Angus Beef. This sauce also pairs well with chicken & pork dishes.
4. Where to find Dried Mushrooms: You can find 5-6 varieties of dried mushrooms along with a variety of interesting ingredients at any Giant Eagle Market District in the Bulk Foods Area.