Steelers To Release Farrior
Buy Steelers Tickets
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Another Steelers’ veteran is on his way out of Pittsburgh.
According to the Steelers website, they will release both linebacker James Farrior and defensive lineman Aaron Smith before “the start of the NFL calendar year,” which is on March 13.
In a statement on the team’s website, Steelers President Art Rooney II said: “Both Aaron and James have given their all during their time in Pittsburgh and we appreciate their efforts and leadership they gave us.”
Farrior’s agent hinted to the news earlier today.
This morning on Twitter, Ralph Cindrich, who is Farrior’s agent, said in part: “#JamesFarrior has been a rock for the #Steelers but the #Turk takes no prisoners-he’s gone.”
This morning on the Morning Show over at 93-7 The Fan, Cindrich said he was pessimistic about the possibility of Farrior returning to the Steelers.
“I think it’s the reality of it all. The Steelers are so far over the cap; he’s done great things here, there’s no doubt that they would like to keep him and that still may come about, but if you were looking at it realistically, the percentages just aren’t there,” said Cindrich. “They’re way over the cap as many know and there are just some problems with trying to retain him.”
Click the link below to listen to Ralph Cindrich’s full interview:
On Wednesday, the Steelers announced that they will release wide receiver Hines Ward of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year.
Then, on Thursday came the news that the Steelers planned to also release Smith and may also release offensive lineman Chris Kemoeatu.
With the releases of Ward, Smith and Kemoeatu, the Steelers clears nearly $10 million in cap room.
Stay with KDKA for more on this developing story.