Rania’s Recipes: Fish & Chips, English Trifle
Rania Harris continues her culinary trip around the world with some dishes inspired by English cuisine!
Fish and Chips
- 4 pieces – 6 ounce cod loin
- 1 cup flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs – whisked with 1 tablespoon of water
- 3 cups Panko bread crumbs
- French fries ~ AKA: Chips
- Malt vinegar
Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge fish in flour, then in egg, then in bread crumbs.
Fry in hot oil until crisp and fish is cooked through. Oven bake the French fries (chips) according to package directions. Serve with chips and malt vinegar in butcher paper or in a plastic tray lined with butcher paper.
- 4 firm bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 baskets raspberries, washed and drained
- 2 baskets strawberries, washed and hulled
- 4 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 2 cans mandarin oranges, well drained
- Sliced toasted almonds
- 3 – 3 – ¾ ounce packages vanilla pudding
- 2 – 3 loaves of Purchased pound cake ~ cut into slices
- 1 cup of heavy cream mixed with 1 teaspoon brandy ~ whipped to soft peaks
Mix together all fruits and nuts. Prepare pudding as directed on package. Arrange a layer of pound cake slices in a large glass bowl. Sprinkle with brandy. Top with a layer of mixed fruits and nuts. Continue in layers until about 2 inches from top of bowl. Spread vanilla pudding evenly over top of trifle. Mound whipped cream over trifle, using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more and serve.
Please note that the amount of fruit ~ pound cake ~ brandy and whipped cream all depends on the size of your bowl.