This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, is in the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen with a creative meatball recipe!
Meatballs With Fennel and Risotto
1 # Ground pork
½ # Ground turkey
1 ea. Eggs
1 ea. Egg yolk
1/2 C. Grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbs. Fresh oregano, thyme, or savory, chopped
2-3 ea. Cloves garlic
1 C. Breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1 qt. Good tomato sauce
1 ea. Bay leaves
1/2 Pine Nuts
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Combine pork, turkey, eggs, cheese and herbs in a large bowl.
3. Using a microplane grater, shave garlic into the mixture.
4. Combine well.
5. Add breadcrumbs, season well with salt and pepper.
6. Cook a small patty of meatball to check the seasonings.
7. Lightly oil a larger baking sheet pan.
8. Roll meat into balls about 2” wide. Place on sheet pan.
9. Place sheet pan in oven and roast until nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
10. While cooking meatballs, warm sauce in large pot.
11. Place cooked meatballs into pot, finish cooking at a low simmer.
Approx. 1 1/2 qt. chicken stock, brought to a boil and kept hot
2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Olive oil
¼ C. Minced yellow onion
1 C. Arborio rice
2 Tbs. Butter to finish
½ C. Grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat butter and oil in a wide, heavy pot over low heat. Sweat onions and until soft. Add rice and cook, stirring to coat the grains with butter, until opaque, 3 to 5 min.
2. Add 1/2 C. hot stock and stir until liquid is absorbed. Be careful to stir regularly so the risotto does not scorch.
3. Continue adding stock in this fashion until rice is cooked al dente. Risotto should be a little loose, not soupy.
2 ea fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
4. Place fennel in a shallow baking pan.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cover with chicken stock.
7. Drizzle with olive oil.
8. Place into 350° oven. Bake for about an 1 hour or until fennel is soft.
9. Reserve warm.