This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, is in the Pittsburgh Today Live kitchen making a delicious Mexican Brunch!
8 ea. Corn tortillas
2 C. Vegetable oil
1 # Fresh Mexican chorizo
8 ea. Eggs
¼ C. Butter
½ # Cotija Cheese (hard grating Mexican cheese)
Red Chili Pinto Beans
1. Prepare Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa and Red Chili Pinto Beans.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a high-sided heavy skillet.
3. When hot (350°), fry tortillas until crspy and lightly browned. Lay out on a rack. Season immediately with salt.
4. Heat another skillet over medium high heat. Crumble chorizo into skillet and brown. Remove from skillet and reserve warm.
5. Return skillet to stove. Add butter and fry 2 eggs over easy.
6. While eggs are frying, place two tortillas on a plate. Top with a good spoonful of Red Chili Pinto Beans. Sprinkle generously with chorizo sausage.
7. Place eggs atop sausage. Sprinkle with cotija cheese. Top with a dollop of Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa and a dollop of Sour Cream. Sprinkle with ancho chili powder.
8. Splash well with hot sauce if desired.
9. Repeat until all are served.
2 C. Tomatillos, washed, peeled, roughly chopped
2 ea. Jalapenos, stems and seeds removed
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp Cumin
Juice of 2 limes
½ C. Cilantro, rough chopped
2 Avocados, peeled and seeded
1. Combine all ingredients except cilantro and avocados in blender. Puree well. Place in bowl.
2. Dice avocados into bowl. Add chopped cilantro. Mix well.
Red Chili Pinto Beans
1 # Dried Pinto Beans
4 oz. De-seeded guajillo chilis, stems removed
2 Tbs. Olive oil
½ C. White onions, diced
3 ea. Garlic cloves
2 tsp. Cumin
2 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp.. Coriander
1 qt. Tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place pinto beans into a pot with 2 quarts of water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook until done.
2. While beans are cooking, prepare sauce as follows.
3. Spread chili peppers on a sheet pan. Toast dry in 350°oven until browned and fragrant.
4. While chilis are toasting, sauté onions and garlic in oil in large skillet.
5. When onions and garlic begin to soften, add chilis and all remaining ingredients.
6. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
7. Puree and strain.
8. Drain beans when done. Add to sauce.
9. Adjust salt and pepper