kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Home Remedy Leads To House Fire In Charleroi

(Credit: KDKA)

(Credit: KDKA)

david_highfield David Highfield
You may have seen David at the anchor desk or reporting in the field,...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

CHARLEROI (KDKA) — The fire chief in Charleroi says the latest fire there is not suspicious after all.

Chief Bob Whiten Jr. says the fire Thursday afternoon started with a home remedy to try to reduce swelling after oral surgery.

He says someone had salt in a wash cloth and put it in a microwave to try create a heating pad. The chief says when it was kept in the microwave too long, someone threw the cloth outside.

It landed on some wicker furniture on the porch and the wind blew just right to catch the porch on fire, according to the chief.

He says the State Police Fire Marshal tested the explanation to make sure it was possible.

The home was heavily damaged, but no one was hurt.

They’ve had two previous fires in the last three weeks in Charleroi that are still being called suspicious.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Washington County News

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,120 other followers