PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Fire investigators say tenants will likely be allowed to go back to their apartments after a gas explosion rocked their complex Tuesday afternoon.
It happened at the Morgan At North Shore complex on Anderson Street, right on the Allegheny River.
Fire officials have traced the origin of the blast to a hole in a flex-tube connected to the water heater.
The force of the explosion in a first-floor unit blew out windows and sent a brick wall tumbling to the ground.
The family who lives there was not home, but their dog and cat were inside.
Pittsburgh Fire Investigator Det. Mike Burns told KDKA’s Kym Gable, “When the hot water tank kicked on around 4 p.m., there was a gas explosion. There was a small flash fire. The cat in the apartment… his whiskers are singed, some of the hair is singed on the cat.”
Stay with KDKA for the latest developments.