Dozens Overcome By West Mifflin Odor
WEST MIFFLIN (KDKA) – Dozens of people had to be treated after they were overcome by a strong odor in West Mifflin Wednesday morning.
Several businesses had to be evacuated and some of those people had to be taken to the hospital.
It was an odor that was employees and customers inside several West Mifflin businesses could not describe. However, they knew whatever it was, was making them sick.
“At approximately 7:36 this morning, West Mifflin dispatch received a call from the local McDonald’s of a natural gas type odor within their building causing headache and nausea to their workers,” Allegheny County Dept. of Emergency Services Chief Alvin Henderson said.
Henderson said a dozen McDonald’s employees were treated with oxygen at the scene. However, the odor spread through the area and more reports came in.
“As they were responding, the scene seemed to start growing, with other buildings in the area starting to report the same symptoms of their workers, same type of smell,” Henderson said.
One customer at Denny’s was seen vomiting outside of the restaurant and was taken to Jefferson Regional Hospital.
A First National Bank employee and a Denny’s employee were also taken to the hospital with similar symptoms.
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details