With the kids being back in school, be sure to try out these recipes to keep their lunches fun and interesting!
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cooked and chilled
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
Combine mayonnaise with the yogurt, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and honey in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken, celery, dried cherries, and almonds; toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve over salad greens.
Serves: 6 – 8
For lunch box: Pack the salad in a container with a tight fitting lid. Add whole wheat crackers, an apple, baby carrots and Hershey’s Kisses to finish the box.
Nutty Surprise Bars
- 1 package yellow cake mix (take out 2/3 cup for filling))
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- The reserved 2/3-cup yellow cake mix
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Reserve 2/3-cup cake mix for the filling. Grease bottom and sides of 9 x 13 pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl combine cake mix, butter, and egg. Press into prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes crust should be light golden brown. Prepare filling.
Mix together 2/3-cup cake mix, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, maple syrup and chopped nuts. Pour filling over partially baked crust. Bake 30 – 35 minutes.
Cool before cutting.
Yield: 24 bars
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3 – 5 ripe bananas
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
Smash bananas into zucchini to equal 2 ½ cups, (there should be a few lumps of banana).
Add sugar and eggs.
Mix in melted butter.
In separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
Add dry to wet and mix until incorporated.
Fill buttered and floured muffin cups ¾ full.
Bake in 350 oven 20-30 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.
Let rest for 2 minutes.
Remove from pan to cooling racks.