PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The former Pittsburgh Public Schools police officer who is accused in connection with the sexual assaults of students made his first appearance before a judge Thursday.
Robert Lellock is facing more than 20 counts on charges including involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault, and endangering the welfare of children dating back to 1998.
During the overnight proceedings, the judge set Lellock’s bond at $1 million.
Four former students of Rooney Middle School say the officer allegedly had inappropriate contact with them, including one victim claiming alleged sexual encounters in a storage closet.
On Wednesday night, the Pittsburgh Public School Board approved Lellock’s resignation.
“We told this individual if they did not submit a resignation, they would be terminated,” said Pittsburgh Public School Superintendent Dr. Linda Lane.
But the school board’s role in allowing Lellock to remain employed since some of the allegations first surfaced in 1999 is a big part of the Allegheny County District Attorney’s investigation.
In a statement, the DA Office’s spokesperson Mike Manko said: “The review of the district’s actions when these accusations first came to light are currently being reviewed to determine if those actions were appropriate.”
“I am not going to discuss the ’99 case because I was not here in 1999, and all I can do is look at paper at this point,” said Dr. Lane.
Lellock has three children that he shares custody of with his same-sex partner.
The attorney for the biological father of one of the children told KDKA earlier this month that a safety plan was put in place by CYF permitting Lellock visitation with the children for four hours a day.
The children remain in the custody of Lellock’s partner.
According to court records, Lellock will be back in court following the mental evaluation on Sept. 28.