kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Neighbors Help Contain Overnight Fire At Stowe Twp. Apartment

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Source: KDKA-TV) Heather Abraham
Pittsburgh native Heather Abraham joined KDKA in Decembe...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

STOWE TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — Neighbors helped contain a fire at an apartment building in Stowe Township early this morning.

The fire started around 1:15 a.m. along the 300-block of Hemlock Way.

The Stowe Township Fire Marshal says the fire started in the kitchen, where a woman was cooking french fries.

He says the woman left the kitchen for a few minutes and came back to find a grease fire.

“Yes, it was a cooking incident,” said Stowe Township Fire Marshal Martin Jacobs. “[A] woman was cooking French fries, got out of control. She went upstairs for a little bit and the fire got out of control.”

She ran into the hallway screaming about the fire, and that’s when neighbors stepped in.

One of the neighbors grabbed a fire extinguisher to help control the fire. In all, neighbors brought six extinguishers to the apartment to help keep it under control until fire crews arrived.

Everyone in the apartment got out safely, including a mother and her two sons living in the unit that caught fire. The woman’s other son was not at home when the fire started.

The first floor of the home was destroyed.

The Red Cross is now helping the woman and her sons.

RELATED LINKS:
More Stowe Township News
More Local News

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,127 other followers