Local

Ambridge Seniors Extinguish Late Night Fire

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Ross Guidotti Ross Guidotti
Pittsburgh native and Point Park graduate Ross Guidotti joined KDKA-TV...
Read More

AMBRIDGE (KDKA) – A fire broke out in the laundry room of the Elderberry Court senior center on Merchant Street late Wednesday night.

Around 11:30 p.m. a fire started in the senior center’s dryer and filled the facility with heavy smoke.

Smoke consumed the basement, first and second floor, leading to the evacuation of 41 seniors who live in the center.

Authorities said the residents responded as best as they could to the fire by putting it out with a fire extinguisher.

“We had crews ventilate the building to get the smoke out,” Assistant Fire Chief Rob Gottschalk said.

One woman was taken to Sewickley Valley Hospital as a precautionary measure.

This is the second fire to break out in the area.

Several weeks ago, a three-level brick building was also destroyed by a fire.

RELATED LINKS

More Local News

More Ross Guidotti

More Fire News

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,651 other followers