Fall is a great time for apples and Rania Harris stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live to show off this great twist on apple pie!
Apple Cheddar Caramel Crunch Pie
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- The juice of one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons calvados (apple brandy)
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Cheddar Cheese Pie crust for a 10-inch crust pie shell (see recipe below)
- 1 egg yolk – beaten slightly (for brushing the bottom of the crust)
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter – melted
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup purchased caramel topping (warmed slightly for easy pouring)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
In a large bowl mix all of the filling ingredients together until moist. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Roll out 1 piece of the pie dough to fit a 10-inch glass pie pan – allowing the excess dough to hang over the edges. Crimp the edges to form a decorative finish. Brush the bottom of the crust with the beaten egg yolk
Fill pie shell with the apple filling and top with the streusel topping.
Place the pie on the center rack of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350 degrees. Bake until the apples are tender, the juices are bubbly, and the crust is golden brown – about 1 hour. Let the pie cool on a rack before serving just slightly warm or at room temperature.
Allow the pie to cool on a bakers cooling rack. When slightly cooled ~ drizzle the caramel syrup over the crust. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Cheddar Cheese Crust
Makes enough for 2 pie shells – make one now and freeze one for later
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ fine teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter – cut into cubes
- 1¼ cups packed grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Approximately 4 – 6 tablespoons ice water
Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor. Add butter and cheese, using on/off turns; process until coarse meal forms. Add just enough ice water and blend until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough together. Turn dough onto work surface; divide dough in half. Form each half into ball and flatten into disk. Wrap disks separately in plastic; chill at least 1 hour.