Rania Harris stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live on Wednesday to show off two new dishes that are perfect for fall!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1# lean ground beef
- 1# lean ground pork
- 1 – 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 – 12 oz bottle beer
- 4 jalapeno peppers – seeded and chopped
- 5 tablespoons Ancho chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste (cayenne pepper optional)
- 1# steak – grilled and cut into large cubes
- 1 can (16 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounce) Pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry elbow macaroni – cooked al dente
- Optional: Beef stock
- Shredded cheddar
- Chopped red onion
- Sliced avocado
In a heavy 8 quart pot, heat oil. Sauté the onion and garlic – add the ground beef and pork and brown well. Add the tomatoes, beer, jalapeno peppers, and remaining seasonings and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer on medium-low, uncovered for about 45 minutes.
Add the grilled steak cubes, drained beans and cooked macaroni and taste for seasoning. If the chili seems a bit too thick, add a bit of beef stock to achieve the desired consistency. Heat through and season to taste, if needed. Serve in pumpkin bowls for a special Halloween treat.
Garnish with cheese, onion and avocado.
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons local honey (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounce piece pancetta – cut into ¼” dice
- 8 cups torn mixed lettuce leaves
- 4 ounces Black Mission Figs – cut into quarters
- 1 package Boursin cheese
- Pumpkin seeds
In a carafe of the Bonjour Salad Gourmet Salad Chef Salad Dressing Mixer, combine the vinegar, honey, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Blend well. Add the olive oil and blend the dressing until it is emulsified. Set aside until ready to toss the salad.
Fry the pancetta until very crisp and drain well on paper towels.
Divide the salad greens on each of 6 salad plates and top with the pancetta, figs and dot with Boursin cheese clumps. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and top with pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.
Note: You will have extra dressing left over that can be stored in the Bonjour Salad Dressing carafe