Gridiron Grub: Pass The Polenta Portobello Sliders
Tailgate menus are associated with burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, grilled fish, sausages and steak. In all of this, the vegan or vegetarian is often forgotten. These sliders are just as delicious as the meaty dishes. Unusual and certainly kinder to the body, these alternative “sliders” will not only be super delicious snacks for the vegetarian, but will have the die-hard carnivores clamoring for their share, too.
Polenta Portobello Sliders
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Grill Time: 6 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Yield: 6 sliders
- 6 medium Portobello mushroom caps, stemmed and wiped
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1 32-ounce tube of pre-made polenta, sliced into 12 1-inch thick slices
- Canola oil spray
- 6 pieces lettuce leaves cut 4 inches by 4 inches
- 1 small red onion sliced into 6 rings
- 1 small green pepper sliced into 6 rings
- 1 large heirloom tomato sliced into 6 rings
- 1 small carton sour cream
- 6 slices American cheddar cheese
Marinate the mushroom caps with the vinaigrette dressing. Then spray the polenta slices with canola oil on both sides. Place the polenta and mushrooms on the hot grill for about 3 minutes on each side. Turn each once to make grill lines on them.
Assemble the sliders by placing a piece of lettuce on a polenta slice, topped with a mushroom cap. Add slices of onion, pepper and tomato. Put a dollop of sour cream on top of the mound and cover with a cheese slice. Then add the other polenta slice. Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients. The sliders are now ready to savor and enjoy.
Want a more traditional burger without the beef? Try this delicious Turkey Burger recipe.
Bina Joseph, a resident of Glastonbury, CT is a freelance writer covering all things travel-related in Connecticut.
A passionate veteran of the travel industry, Bina has visited more than 40 countries, giving her a unique, global perspective. Her work can be found at Examiner.com.