Father Behind Bars In Alleged Assault Of Young Son
NEW CASTLE (KDKA) — A father is behind bars facing charges in the alleged assault of his infant son.
The child sustained a fractured skull, multiple broken ribs and a fractured tibia. The 3-month-old little boy also had two black eyes and bruises on his face.
Police say 27-year-old Craig Underwood is facing charges in connection with the case. He’s the infant’s father.
Investigators say the baby’s mother, Danielle Gallentine, had the full time job. She and Underwood agreed that she would go to work and he would stay home and take care of the baby.
Underwood lived in a house in New Castle with Gallentine, who is his girlfriend, their baby and Gallentine’s aunt and uncle.
The uncle did not want to appear on camera, but told KDKA’s Brenda Waters that Underwood came to the area from England, adding that his niece met him online.
William Gallentine says they didn’t really get along, but he wanted to take care of his niece.
Police first learned about the problem last week, and when they went to the home to talk to Underwood, he was gone.
Police later found him at the city mission in New Castle and arrested him for assault.
Turns out, officials say Underwood was in this country illegally. According to police, both his passport and his visa had expired.
The baby is doing well and is home with the rest of its family.
Underwood was scheduled to have his preliminary hearing this Thursday, but Neshannock Police and the Lawrence County District Attorney say they need more time to prepare the case, so the hearing has been continued.