MENALLEN TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A Fayette County man will be spending his Thanksgiving behind bars for not paying some outstanding fines.
And when state constables went to pick him up, they found a dog fighting for its life outside his home. Hours later, the dog died.
State constables went to the Menallen Township home to serve Michael Little with two warrants for summary charges.
“We beat on door trying to get him to come to door, he didn’t respond,” said Mark Pasquale, a state constable. “My partner walked around the house, noticed dog laying up against house in the mud, summoned me to come around.”
When Pasquale walked to the side of the house, he found the pit bull-lab mix clinging to life.
“It was really sad,” said Pasquale. “The dog was just shaking and jerking. I mean, it was almost like it was in a convulsive state.”
The dog’s leash was caught around a pipe, and it couldn’t get inside its dog house when the temperature dropped last night.
The SPCA took the dog to Duck Hollow Vet Clinic here it died Wednesday afternoon.
Not only was dog in deplorable conditions outside, the state constable says the entire house was being heated by space heaters.
“From what I understand in talking to the individual, the homeowner, there is no oil furnace – it does not work in that house,” said Pasquale. “They had a bunch of space heaters and extension cords.”
Pasquale says this poses a serious safety concern for others living in the home, along with their six dogs and one cat.
“There was a 2-month-old baby as well in the house with mother, 19-year old daughter. Just for a precaution we contacted CYS just to have them come out and ensure that the baby was in good health based on condition of house and everything,” he added.
Little was taken to the Fayette County Jail for not paying the fines associated with the outstanding charges against him.
It will be up to the SPCA if charges are filed in connection with the animals.
“It’s a sad state of affairs,” Pasquale said. “The animal didn’t do anything to anybody and subsequently lost its life at the hands of the owner who didn’t give it proper treatment. It’s a shame.