1 Dead After Butler Co. Fire
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A fatal fire inside an apartment in Butler County left one man dead and another injured from smoke inhalation.
It started around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex in the 500-block of German Street in Harmony.
The building was an old house converted into apartments.
It was home to 15 residents, but one did not make it out alive.
When firefighters arrived at the scene they found heavy smoke billowing out of the rear of the 10-unit structure.
They were told by some of the residents they believed someone was still inside.
When fire fighters attempted to make their way inside to rescue the victim, they were pushed back by the smoke.
As the flames were being extinguished, crews made their way in and found 53-year-old Donald Alan Sutch
He was dead at the scene.
Another resident was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and a firefighter was treated at the scene for exhaustion.
Emergency crews know that the fire began in the victim’s apartment.
And Jackson Township Police Chief Terry Seihamer says a preliminary investigation indicates that the fire may have been started by a cigarette.
Police say the couch had a burn pattern on it and the victim was a known smoker. He was found in his bed.
The fire is being investigated by the Pennsylvania Fire Marshall.