Officials Trace Greenfield CO Leak To Malfunctioning Hot Water Heater
GREENFIELD (KDKA) – Firefighters and gas crews scrambled to find the source of a carbon monoxide leak that prompted the evacuation of four businesses in a Greenfield office complex on Tuesday.
About 40 people from a pediatric clinic, Laundromat, restaurant and meeting space were told to leave the structure on Beechwood Boulevard around 1 p.m.
A paramedic responding to treat a sick child at the clinic detected unsafe levels of CO on a small detector they carry on their medic bags.
The leak was later traced to a malfunctioning water heater inside the restaurant, Silk Pagoda.
The business reopened several hours later.
The Allegheny County Health Department says the reading was 50 parts per million, which is considered a medium read.