Rania’s Recipes: Smoked Gouda Fondue & Chocolate Kahlua Fondue
If you like fondue, be sure to try out these two recipes from Rania Harris today!
Smoked Gouda Fondue with Kielbasa
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets – blanched just until crisp tender
- 1 pound asparagus – trimmed – blanched just until crisp tender
- 1 bag baby carrots – blanched just until crisp tender
- 1 pound white mushrooms – cleaned and stems removed
- 1 cup drained baby Gherkin pickles
- 2 red pears – sliced (just before assembly)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (for drizzling over pears)
- 1 ½ pounds kielbasa – grilled and cut into bite size pieces (*see directions)
- Olive oil for broiling or grilling kielbasa
- 8 ounces Gruyere, shredded
- 6 ounces, smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large clove garlic – skinned and smashed
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 6 slices thick cut bacon – cooked crisp and crumbled
- ¼ cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 baguette, sliced
Preheat broiler to high and a grill pan or large nonstick skillet to medium high. Drizzle sausage casing with extra-virgin olive oil and prick skin in a few places with the tines of a fork. Grill kielbasa on hot grill pan or in large nonstick skillet 6 to 8 minutes until casing is crisp. Remove sausage and cut in 2-inch chunks on a bias.
While sausage cooks, arrange vegetables on a platter along with Gherkins and sliced pears coated with 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
Make the fondue:
Combine cheeses in a bowl with flour. Rub the inside of a small pot with smashed garlic then discard. Add wine and 2 teaspoons lemon juice and bring up to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce the heat to simmer and add cheese in handfuls. Stir constantly, melting the cheese in batches. Stir with wooden spoon. Transfer the fondue to fondue pot and top with chopped bacon and smoked nuts.
Serve with vegetables and sliced baguette for dipping.
Chocolate Kahlua Fondue
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces chopped semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- Orange segments, for dipping
- Apple slices, for dipping
- Dried Apricots, for dipping
- Pound cake cubes, for dipping
- Strawberries, cleaned, for dipping
- Caramels, for dipping
- Marshmallows, for dipping
In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the sugar, heavy cream, chocolate, and butter together and microwave for 2 minutes.
Take out of microwave and give it a quick whisk. Add Kahlua and whisk again. Transfer to a fondue pot with a flame underneath. Serve with any or all of the above suggested dipping ingredients.
Yield: 1 ½ cups