PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — If you’re an adventurous eater, or just a fan of Asian food, try this signature Korean dish featuring flank steak and poached octopus!
Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Marinated Flank Steak
- 1 Poached octopus
- Sprout Salad
- Shiitake Salad
- Bi Bim Bap Sauce
- Approx. 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 4 ea. eggs
- 1 cup Kim chi
- Julienned Nori strips
- Toasted sesame seeds
1) Prepare jasmine rice in rice steamer.
2) Place Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap bowls in a 450° oven and allow them to get very hot.
3) Heat grill.
4) Prepare Sprout Salad, Shiitake Salad and Bi Bim Bap Sauce.
5) Remove steak from marinade. Toss octopus in marinade to just coat.
6) Grill Marinated Flank Steak to medium.
7) While grilling, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
8) When rice and steak are ready, grill octopus.
9) Remove bowls from oven and lightly oil with 1-2 tbs sesame oil. Rice should sizzle.
10) Begin cooking eggs sunny side up. As each is done, place atop rice.
11) Slice steak. Arrange nicely atop rice at one side of the bowl.
12) Add grilled octopus, small piles of kim chi, Sprout Salad and Shiitake Salad at points around the bowl.
13) Sprinkle with nori strips and sesame seeds.
14) Serve with Bi Bim Bap Sauce and extra kim chi on the side.
- 2 Flank steak
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbs. Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sake
- 2 Tbs. Sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Chopped garlic
- 2 Tbs. Sesame seed, toasted
- 1 Tsp.Ground black pepper
1)Combine all ingredients except steak.
2)Pour over steak in a non-reactive dish.
3)Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 1/2 ea. Cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 1 ea. Carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 3-inch section of Daikon, peeled, and julienned
- 1 Cup Mung bean sprouts
2)Toss with dressing and use immediately.
Sprout Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup Rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 each Thai bird peppers, sliced
1)Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2)Remove from heat, add chilis, and allow to cool.
- 1 cup Julienned shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Soy Sauce
1)Place mushrooms in a heat proof bowl.
2)Place remaining ingredients in a small sauce pot. Bring to a simmer.
3)Pour over julienned shiitake.
4)Drain excess liquid when serving.
Bi Bim Bap Sauce
- 1/2 cup Goju Jang
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Soy
- 1 Tbs. Sesame oil
- 1/4 cup Water
1)Combine all ingredients.