Contractor Likely Electrocuted On CMU Campus Identified
Get Breaking News First
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A contractor working on the Carnegie Mellon University campus was found dead Tuesday morning from possible electrocution.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office, has identified the victim as 59-year-old Harold Taylor Jr., of Mount Oliver.
Pittsburgh Police were first called to Wean Hall after the body of the third-party contractor was found inside between a furnace and a piece of equipment in Wean Hall.
Police say Taylor was found by a co-worker in the mechanical room. The co-worker then called 911, but by the time responders arrived on scene, Taylor was dead.
An emergency alert voicemail went out to Carnegie Mellon University students: “A number of emergency first responders are in Wean Hall responding to an isolated incident involving an individual working with an outside contractor.”
Those in Wean Hall got the message after 10:20 a.m. when the man’s body was discovered.
A university representative has confirmed that there was an industrial accident. Initial reports were that the contractor was electrocuted.
“Danger: High Voltage” signs can be seen hanging on numerous parts of Wean Hall. The building houses the computer science, physics and math departments at the university.
The man’s body was taken from the scene off of Frew Street after 12:30 p.m.
No evacuations were ordered for the campus community.
An autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday morning.