Police: Baby Burned With Chemicals Dies
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburgh police are trying to figure out who poured a chemical on a baby that died at an East Hills apartment.
Police say 21-month-old Xavier Washington was burned with what they believe was bleach, and his twin brother is also in the hospital with chemical burns. That brother is listed in serious, but stable condition.
The babies were with their babysitter at the time. When the mother returned, she found both with severe burns.
“The biological mother did come to the house and she is the one that discovered her child unresponsive, not breathing. She initiated CPR and they called 9-1-1 immediately,” Major Crimes Commander Kevin Kraus said.
Kraus says Washington died about 5:20 a.m. Saturday, and the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office has ordered lab tests to figure out how the boy died.
“I didn’t know the kids, but I feel bad for (their) mother,” neighbor Samantha Musgrove said. “My condolences go out to the whole entire family.”
Those test results might not be available for six to 24 weeks.
Kraus says there were up to three adults and six children in the home when the baby died. The children range in ages from 4 months to 8 years old.
Police are still investigating and not sure why or how the babies were covered in the chemicals.
They have not made any arrests so far.