MONACA (KDKA) – Sunday was a perfect day for a hike.

Zachary DeFelipe of Enon Valley, and his cousin set their sites on a steep, wooded hillside above Beaver Avenue in Monaca.

It ended badly for DeFelipe.

As the 14-year-old began sliding in the mud and when he reached, he mistakenly grabbing a live power line carrying 250 volts. The jolt knocked him back and the electricity grounded out through his feet.

The boy was treated at the scene. A medical helicopter then flew him to UPMC Mercy Hospital’s Burn Unit.

A spokesman for Duquesne Light said the company’s thoughts are with the teen and his family — and that utility workers had made “the power line safe.” Beyond that no questions were answered.

It’s said that the power line came unclipped from the pole. Usually, electric companies troubleshoot for problems like that from the air or on the ground.

If the charge hadn’t flung DeFelipe off the line, it would have been a very different story.

DeFelipe is in good condition at UPMC Mercy Hospital.

Duquesne Light will not have anything more to say about the incident until their investigation is complete.


More Local News
More Beaver County News
More Reports From Mary Robb Jackson

Watch & Listen LIVE