SOUTH UNION TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A bar in Fayette County was destroyed by an early Tuesday morning fire.

According to officials at the scene, the fire started shortly after midnight at The 19th Hole in the 500-block of McClelland Road in South Union Township.

The owner said the bar opened 13 years ago, but now it has been reduced to ashes.

Minutes after the bartender closed last night, a fire started underneath a cooler and left nothing untouched.

“Upon arrival, we found that the left side of the structure was fully involved. About ten minutes after we got here the roof collapsed,” South Union Township Fire Chief Rick McCormick said.

State police said a faulty wire is to blame. The wire underneath the cooler corroded and sparked the fire last night.

Luckily, because the bar was closed, no one was inside.

“We did do a small interior attack, but the building was a total loss, that’s all we could do,” McCormick said. “We [don’t have] hydrants out here. We did call for tankers from four different fire departments who came to assist us.

Family and friends sifted through the ashes Tuesday morning. The owner said she and her husband own two other establishments, but this one was close to her heart.

The one setback could be insurance. Since the business is a total loss, the owner is worried about getting enough insurance money to rebuild.

Stay With For More Details


More Local News
More Reports From Fayette County
More Reports From Heather Abraham

Watch & Listen LIVE