Fire Engulfs Apartment Complex In Robinson Township
ROBINSON TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — Fire raged through an apartment complex in Robinson Township Saturday afternoon.
The blaze broke out around 5 p.m. at the apartment building in the 2500-block of Ventana Drive.
At least five apartments were heavily damaged, but everyone was able to get out safely.
“It just basically burst into flames, and it just [crept] right up the building,” said Gary Warner, a tenant. “Big, big blaze.”
“Very bright orange flames and black smoke,” Barbara Gilbert, another tenant, added. “[A] very hot, fast-moving fire.”
Billowing smoke and flames could be seen from far away.
“We had heavy smoke and heavy fire coming from the roof,” said Chief Paul Kashmer, of the Moon Run Volunteer Fire Department. “We just attacked it from there.”
There was a scramble to get people out of the building as the flames roared. The effort was successful as everyone got out.
“I began to pound on different doors and saw that the top right apartment was on fire,” Benjamin White, a tenant, said.
Cell Phone Video- Courtesy: KDKA Viewer:
One firefighter reportedly suffered minor injuries.
Also, firefighters had to knock down an apartment door to rescue someone’s pet. The dog appears to be okay, but he was taken to a veterinarian to be checked out.
There’s no word yet on what sparked the blaze.