Reporting Christine D’Antonio
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Events and games at CONSOL Energy Center and PNC Park will now have tighter security following the bombings earlier this week at the Boston Marathon.
That’s the word from officials who say that they’ve briefed staff on making sure every security measure is followed out to the fullest extent.
At CONSOL Energy Center on Wednesday evening for the first Penguins’ game since the Boston bombings, security was tighter than ever.
Officials wouldn’t give away all the specifics of what further measures were taking places, but asked fans to allot extra time to get into the arena and to their seats.
“It’s really sad that we’ve gotten to the point in America where we have to do that, but it’s for safety, so I’d rather be safe in a game and enjoy it than knowing something could happen,” said Cat Moon, fan heading to Wednesday night’s game.
Fans of both teams didn’t mind.
They say the safer the better, even if it means standing in line longer.
“Come down early; it might take a little longer to get in, but honestly I didn’t even notice it that much,” said Ryan Kelly, a hockey fan. “I mean, yeah, it took a few extra seconds. The line got a little bit long, but we were in and out.”