Local

Chartiers Valley High School Evacuated After Gas Situation

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

Bob Allen Bob Allen
Bob Allen joined the KDKA-TV team in January 2000 as a General...
Read More

COLLIER TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – Chartiers Valley School District officials say fumes from a gas burner in a chemistry lab caused a strong odor that prompted the evacuation of the high school and middle school this morning.

Students were moved to the football stadium as a precaution.

The incident happened in a chemistry lab located on the third floor of the high school on Thoms Run Road.

Sometime after 8 a.m., officials say students in a chemistry class smelled gas leaking from a Bunsen burner.

Kirwan Heights firefighters and Equitable Gas crews were called in to check the situation.

According to an Equitable Gas spokesperson, one of the burners had been left on.

Crews turned it off and then did a safety check around the building before letting the students back inside around 10:15 p.m.

They are all now back in class.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

RELATED LINKS
More Chartiers Valley School District News
More Local News

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,473 other followers