Weight Watchers Recipes: Chicken Pot Pie & Lemon Bars
If you’re on a diet, but don’t want to sacrifice flavor for the sake of cutting down on calories, be sure to try out these two recipes from Weight Watchers!
Biscuit topped Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 5 (generous 1 cup serving chicken and vegetables with biscuit): 292 Cal or 7 PPV
- 1 ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup low fat (1%) milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas and green beans)
- 1 ½ cups chopped skinless cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 (6 oz.) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits.
1. Preheat oven to 425. Spray a 3 qt. shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together broth, milk, flour, and pepper in a medium bowl until blended. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the celery, onion, and garlic and cook stirring occasionally until softened, 6 minutes. Stir in the mixed vegetables and chicken and cook until heated through, 3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens 2-3 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Pour into prepared baking dish. Arrange the biscuit on top of the chicken mixture.
4. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the biscuits are golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
Everybody’s favorite on the cookie tray, lemon bars are traditionally made with a shortbread crust and a rich lemon curd topping. With animal cracker crumbs, plenty of fresh lemon, and lots of ingenuity, our updated version measures up in every way to the original.
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup animal cracker crumbs or vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 cup = 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (from about 4 lemons)
1. Place the oven rack in the center of the oven: preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with heavy duty foil, extending 2 inches beyond the sides (This creates a handle so that the bars can easily be lifted out of the pan) Spray the bottom and sides of the foil with nonstick spray.
2. To prepare the crust; Stir together 2/3 cup of the flour, the animal cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and the butter in a medium bowl until the consistency of wet sand. Pat evenly into the pan to form a crust. Bake until firm, 12 minutes.
3. Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, egg whites, lemon zest, and lemon juice and whisk to thoroughly combine about 1 minute. Pour over the hot curst, return to oven and bake until golden and set in the center about 30 minutes. Cool completely on rack. Lift out the bars, holding onto the foil ends and place on cutting board. Cut into 16 inch squares. Per serving: One bar 119 calories or 3 PPV.