NORTH BRADDOCK (KDKA) — Fire broke out in a duplex in North Braddock late this morning, leaving two families homeless.
Flames and smoke were seen shooting out of the roof of the home, but no injuries were reported.
Firefighters from at least a half a dozen municipalities worked to put out the blaze in the two-and-a-half story duplex in the 1300-block of Grandview Avenue.
“Heavy fire on the first floor; nobody was home at the time,” said Chief Anthony Rydzak, of the North Braddock Fire Department.
The fire appeared to spread from the first floor to the attic, where thick, black smoke billowed out as firefighters broke windows and chopped through walls.
There were also numerous calls about noises inside the house.
“We did hear somebody say popping,” Chief Rydzak said. “It could have been a numerous amount of things inside popping, aerosol cans, stuff like that.”