If you’re looking for some delicious new dishes, be sure to give these two from Rania Harris a try!
Chilled Tian of Lobster
- 1 pound cooked lobster tail meat
- 2 ripe mangos ~ peeled and diced
- 1 ripe avocado ~ peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 2 tablespoons finely slivered mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives
- Basil Oil (see recipe below)
4 pieces PVC pipe – each 3-inches in diameter and 4-inch long
In a bowl, combine the cooked lobster tail meat, the mango, the avocado, the olive oil, lemon juice, green onion, mint, salt and pepper. Toss gently until just combined.
Place the PVC pipe on a chilled salad plate. Evenly divide the lobster-mango mixture into each pipe and gently press down to compact slightly. Carefully pull the molds up and away, allowing the stacks to stand on their own. Drizzle a small amount of basil oil around each stack and garnish with the chives. Serve immediately.
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 cup pure olive oil
Tear the leaves off of the basil and place in a blender with the olive oil. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture into a large saucepan or skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a sterilized airtight jar or bottle. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 week.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 grilled flank steak
- 2 bags arugula
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small Bermuda onion ~ thinly sliced
- ½ pound Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallot, rosemary salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
Make the salad :
Thinly slice the steak across the grain. In a large bowl, combine the arugula, tomatoes, onions and steak. Add the vinaigrette and toss well. Using a vegetable peeler, shave curls of the cheese over the salad. Divide among large plates and serve immediately.
Note: You may have too much vinaigrette ~ use your judgment as to how much you will need to dress the salad as the remaining vinaigrette may be kept in a jar with a tight fitting lid in the refrigerator for another use