NORTH VERSAILLES (KDKA) – Five people were displaced due to a Thursday morning fire in North Versailles.
According to officials at the scene, the fire started in an apartment building in the 100-block of Dix Drive around 6:15 a.m.
It was a desperate situation for two adults and three children in an apartment filling with smoke, but they escaped any harm because they took the time to make sure their smoke detector was in working order.
Access to the Landmark Apartments was all but impossible as fire equipment from multiple companies was on scene as firefighters battled a fire in one of the units.
“We had an apartment fire on the third floor that was the dining room that was fully involved,” Jeff McNeil with the North Versailles Volunteer Fire Department said. “[Smoke] was banked down almost to the floor so it was pretty heavy.
However, tragedy was averted because the residents were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector.
“The smoke detector alerted the occupants in that apartment. The mother woke up and got her and her children out,” McNeil said.
They huddled outside as firefighters cut the roof to vent the smoke and knock down the flames. The occupants were not the only ones to rush out of the building.
“The North Versailles Police evacuated the entire building,” McNeil said.
“I heard detectors going off. I opened up my door and looked out and there was nothing,” Izola Brown said.
Seconds later, Brown looked out again.
“I [saw] her door was open and I [saw] flames. I moved so fast, I forgot my car keys and door key and something like this happens, you don’t think. You are trying to get out. You are just trying to get out,” Brown said.
She did escape safe and sound due to the buzz and beep of the smoke alarm.
It is believed the fire began in a kitchen area. The Allegheny County fire marshal is doing a routine investigation.
Meanwhile, those displaced are staying with family and the Red Cross is also assisting them.
Stay With KDKA.com For More Details