Rania’s Recipes: Cheddar BLT Burgers & Potato Salad
Rania Harris stopped by Pittsburgh Today Live on Wednesday to show off two great recipes that will be perfect for your next cookout!
Cheddar BLT Burgers
- 12 ounces thickly sliced peppered bacon
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 6 (thick) slices
- 6 hamburger buns
- Boston Bibb lettuce leaves
- 6 slices of tomato
- Onion Relish
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, turning once,
until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain and cut the bacon into large pieces.
Light a grill to medium high and fill a large bowl with ice water. Gently mix the ground chuck with the ground sirloin, salt and pepper. Form the meat into six 4 inch patties, about 1 ¼ inches thick. Press an indentation in the center of the burgers with your thumb. This will prevent them from developing a bulge when grilling in the center of the burger.
Immediately transfer the burgers to the grill. Do not flip the burgers until a good browned crust has formed. Grill over medium-high heat for 9 minutes for medium.
Top the burgers with the cheese during the last minute of grilling and let melt. Set the lettuce leaves and tomato slices on the bottom halves and top with the burgers, onion relish and bacon. Close the burgers serve immediately.
Homemade Potato Salad
- 3 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 8 bacon slices, sautéed and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas, cooked
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or more to taste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Boil or steam the potatoes until tender. While they are still warm, quarter or halve them, depending on size, and put in a large bowl. Stir in the bacon, peas, and scallions.
To make the dressing: Put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the potato mixture in the dressing and check the seasoning again if necessary. Transfer to a large serving platter.