Rania’s Recipes: Steak Kabobs, Edamame Rice Salad
Summer is officially here and if you’re looking for some great new recipes for when you entertain, be sure to try these two from Rania Harris!
Steak and Summer Vegetable Kabobs
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons purchased beef grilling rub
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds boneless filet tips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large Vidalia onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Rum Barbecue sauce (see recipe below)
Combine the wine, olive oil, grilling rub, salt and beef filet tips In a Jaccard Meat Marinade chamber. Stir to coat the meat evenly and follow the directions on how to vacuum seal the chamber. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
Heat grill to medium high.
Remove the beef from the marinade. Thread the beef, onion and bell peppers onto the skewers from a kabob grilling rack, alternating the pieces and dividing them equally. Arrange the skewers on the rack and place on the grill directly over the ﬁre. Cook, turning the skewers occasionally, until dark grill marks appear underneath, about 10 minutes for medium-rare beef, or until done to your liking. Brush the meat and bell peppers with some of the grilling sauce and cook for 1 minute more, then brush with more sauce.
Remove the skewers from the rack and transfer to a warmed platter. Pass the remaining sauce alongside.
Rum Barbecue Sauce:
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2/3 cup dark rum
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup molasses
- 4 garlic cloves ~ minced to a paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Caribbean Hot Pepper Sauce to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until a smooth puree forms.
Transfer to a small pot and bring to a quick boil. Immediately remove from heat, as overcooking will caramelize the molasses. Cool, pour into a jar and cover tightly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Edamame Rice Salad
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice and seasoned with salt
- 2 cups cooked and shelled edamame
- 2 small cucumbers ~ peeled ~ seeded diced
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Sea salt to taste
- Chopped fresh mint to taste
- 1 cup Micro Sprouts
- 2 ripe avocados ~ peeled ~ pitted ~ diced
- For the Wasabi Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup Sunflower oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Wasabi paste to taste
To make the Wasabi Vinaigrette:
Put the oil, vinegar and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the wasabi to taste.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked and cooled rice with the vinaigrette. Add the remaining ingredients, adding the avocados just before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Serves: 8 – 10