With the MLB All-Star Game coming up, Rania Harris stopped by PTL to show off a great recipe for chili dogs that will be perfect to have while watching the game!
Coney Island Chili-Cheese Dogs
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, Chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup chili powder (or more to taste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, partially drained
- 18 – 4 ounce all beef hot dogs
- 18 hot dog buns, top split
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Vidalia onion, finely diced
In a large pot, cook ground chuck in vegetable oil until browned. Add onions and green pepper and brown lightly.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add kidney beans and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
Working in batches, grill the hot dogs, turning occasionally, until lightly blistered and warmed through, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a platter.
Working in batches, place the hot dog buns, cut sides down, grill until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per batch. Place the hot dogs inside the buns.
Top each hot dog with about ¼ cup chili and sprinkle with the cheese and onion.