If you’re looking for a delicious new steak recipe, be sure to try this one out from Chef Bill Fuller!
Iron-Roasted Steak, Tomato and Zucchini Salad
- 2 Tbs. Fennel seeds
- 2 Tbs Cumin seeds
- 2 ea. Strip steaks, about 14 oz. ea.
- 2-3 Tbs. Olive oil
- 2 Tbs. Kosher salt
- 1-2 Tbs. Ground black pepper
- 3-4 ea. Perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes, never refrigerated, sliced thickly
- 1-2 ea. Beautiful young squash, zucchini or yellow
- Olive oil
- Splash of vinegar
- Lots of herb flowers
1. Place cumin and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle. Grind well with a stirring motion.
2. Allow meat to come to room temperature.
3. Lightly oil steaks. Season heavily with crushed seeds, salt and pepper.
4. Preheat cast iron skillet to near smoking.
5. Sear steaks hard on each of the four sides. Remove when cooked to preference (130 to 135 for mid rare) and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Slice the squash and zucchini thinly on a mandolin. Arrange alternating with tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Lightly season with vinegar depending on the acidity of the tomatoes.
7. Slice steak and arrange over. Sprinkle with herb flowers.