17 Sickened By Ammonia Leak
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – A huge relief in one South Hills Neighborhood after an ammonia release prompted a massive emergency response in Whitehall.
It happened at Schneider’s Dairy on Frank Street, a plant that processes milk and iced tea.
Seventeen employees were treated. Eleven of them were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Their conditions were not considered serious.
Water department workers upgrading lines nearby had to interrupt service to the plant.
That caused a build-up in pressure, and that’s when a valve released sending ammonia into the air.
A company official who did not want to talk on camera told KDKA’s Kym Gable that his employees reacted swiftly, evacuating the building in a matter of minutes.
There was no evacuation of nearby homes in the community.
Employees went back inside and back to work around 4:30 p.m.