Inbound Side Of Liberty Tunnel Closed
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Drivers who use the Liberty Tunnel can expect major detours beginning Thursday morning.
The inbound side of the tunnel closed Wednesday night at 10 p.m.
The average daily inbound traffic through the tunnel is 16,500 cars and trucks.
Give yourself extra time Steve Cowan, a Penndot spokesman says, “This is the continuation of phase four of the liberty tunnel project. What we’re going to be doing tonight is closing the inbound side of the Liberty Tunnels starting at 10 p.m. We don’t have an estimate on the delays but it will be considerable. There will be significant delays until motorists get used to this closure. Typically it takes motorists a few days to adjust.”
The folks who live around Merrimac and Woodruff streets in Mt. Washington expect more cars.
“There’s going to be a lot of traffic coming up McArdle and going down 51,” said Ashley Mastrandrea of Mt. Washington.
And some may even consider Warrington Ave. through Allentown, but you may want to think twice about that.
Warrington already has slower traffic because of a rail line project in the outbound lanes.
Ashley Wright commutes in and out of Allentown every day and expects some drivers will even try that detour.
“It’s going to be hectic, yeah they are, cause anybody will try to get up here is going to try to get up here using that tunnel and they’re not going to know its closed and its going to be a mess,” she said.
The inbound tunnel will be closed until Aug. 30.
The complete detour for the tunnel is:
Inbound Posted Detour:
• At the tunnel, take Route 51 (Saw Mill Run Boulevard) north
• Take ramp towards I-376 West/South Route 19 (Carnegie/Airport/West End)
• Bear left to South Route 19 (Banksville Road)
• Bear left to east I-376 (Parkway West)
• Follow I-376 Parkway West eastbound through the Fort Pitt Tunnel
• Bear right onto eastbound I-376 Parkway East
• Take the Parkway East to Grant Street (Exit 71-A)
• From Grant Street, make a right onto Boulevard of the Allies (Route 885)
• Take Boulevard of the Allies east to Liberty Bridge and Tunnels