PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – PennDOT is looking to alternate detours, after the inbound Liberty Tunnel closure created more traffic than officials anticipated.
The tunnel was closed late Wednesday night and isn’t set to reopen until Aug. 30 as workers replace the concrete arch at the end of the tunnel.
PennDOT spokesman Steve Cowan told the Tribune-Review that officials are looking to “alleviate some of the delays.”
The newspaper reports that on the first day of the closure, traffic was backed up for miles along the Route 51 detour.
About 45,000 cars use the tunnels each day, according to PennDOT officials.
PennDOT’s suggested detour is:
- At the tunnel, take Route 51 (Saw Mill Run Boulevard) north
- Take ramp towards I-376 West/South Route 19 (Carnegie/Airport/West End)
- Bear left to South Route 19 (Banksville Road)
- Bear left to east I-376 (Parkway West)
- Follow I-376 Parkway West eastbound through the Fort Pitt Tunnel
- Bear right onto eastbound I-376 Parkway East
- Take the Parkway East to Grant Street (Exit 71-A)
- From Grant Street, make a right onto Boulevard of the Allies (Route 885)
- Take Boulevard of the Allies east to Liberty Bridge and Tunnels
- End detour
Officials also say the outbound tunnels will be closed nights from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.