More Settlements Expected In Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal
HARRISBURG, Pa. (KDKA/AP) – Negotiations between Penn State and young men who claim they were abused by Jerry Sandusky are starting to bear fruit, with lawyers involved saying there will be more settlement announcements in the coming days.
The school’s trustees have set aside some $60 million to pay claims, and on Monday a lawyer working for Penn State said the one settlement so far should be followed by 24 more this week.
Attorney Michael Rozen says pending agreements include most of the eight young men who testified last year against Sandusky. He’s the school’s former assistant football coach in prison for child molestation.
Penn State’s saying little in response to an announcement by the lawyer for one of the eight that his case was fully settled and he expects payment within a month.
The first settlement happened over the weekend.
Now a young man of 25, victim No. 5 was the recipient of a multi-million dollar court settlement with Penn State for his pain and anguish, which his attorney said could have been prevented.
“He was the one youngster without any doubt could have and should have been prevented from being assaulted in the showers of Penn State, just six month after the infamous McQuery incident,” Tom Kline said.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)