kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Local

Cheswick Business Badly Damaged By Fire, Firefighters Injured

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

(Photo Credit: NewsChopper 2/KDKA)

david_highfield David Highfield
You may have seen David at the anchor desk or reporting in the field,...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Firefighters worked to put out a two-alarm fire in Cheswick.

It started before 5 p.m. at a building that houses Best Air Systems, Pro Mechanical, First Fire Protection and Filter Services in the 100-block of Cheswick Avenue. Part of the roof collapsed in the blaze.

Two firefighters were injured while putting out the flames. One was treated on scene by paramedics. The other was an 18-year-old woman who was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital with third degree burns to her hands and arms.

About 15 people were evacuated from the building and were able to get out safely.

A worker who was in the building tells KDKA it was started by a commercial clothes dryer. Thick black smoke could be seen billowing from the building.

“We heard an explosion coming from the back of the warehouse towards the dryer area,” said employee Curt Hubert.

Another employee said he tried to grab fire extinguishers, but just couldn’t move fast enough.

Hazmat was called to the scene because of chemicals inside the building.

The company located in the building cleans restaurant kitchen hoods and inside was a chemical called caustic soda, which is used for cleaning.

“I have a lot of sadness in me, going ‘what are we going to do next?'” owner Eddie Watson said. “We’re going to rebuild, I know that.”

Two nearby homes were also evacuated due to safety concerns.

Stay with KDKA for more information.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Police News

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,139 other followers