Market District Recipe: Bean Soup With Ham
Fall is here and if you’re looking to warm up with some soup, be sure to try out this recipe from the Giant Eagle Market District Today!
Bean Soup With Ham
Serves: 6-8 • Prep time: 15 minutes • Cook time: 2 hours
- 2# bag Giant Eagle Dried Navy Beans
- 2 T butter
- 1 16oz can Giant Eagle Italian Diced Tomato
- 2 Smoked ham hock
- 1# diced ham, can be smoked pork chops or deli ham
- 1# carrots, peeled and coined
- 1 large onion, large diced
- 4 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 ½ qt. Market District Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream, more if desired
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
1. Cover dried beans with water and a sprinkle of salt and soak overnight. If not soaking, rinse and simmer beans in salted water for 45 minutes, or until they are softened.
2. In a large soup pot, sweat carrots and onion in the butter until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add smoked hocks, tomato, thyme, chicken stock and beans.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for up to 2 hours.
5. Remove hock and thyme stems and, using a stick blender, puree the soup partially. If you like it smooth, puree completely. When the soup is desired consistency, add the diced ham and cream and season with salt and pepper.