PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Kick your football-watch party into high gear with this delicious recipe from Rania Harris!
This week on the Steelers Huddle, Rania is making Cheesy Sausage Jalapeno Hash Brown Bake in the Heinz Red Zone!
Don’t forget to tune into the Steelers Huddle show each Saturday after the 11 p.m. news on KDKA-TV for more of Rania’s recipes!
STEELERS HUDDLE “Heinz Red Zone Recipe”: Cheesy Sausage Jalapeno Hash Brown Bake
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups cubed Italian or French bread, crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup canned mild jalapeno rings (1/2 cup cut into quarters, ¼ cup for topping)
- 1 large poblano pepper, roasted over an open flame, skin and seeds removed, and diced
- 3 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
- 4 cups Ore-Ida® County Style Hash Browns
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 10 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Heinz® Jalapeno Ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large, non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat.
Cook breakfast sausage links until browned and fully cooked (internal temperature must reach 165 degrees). Remove links and wipe sauté pan with a paper towel.
Return the sauté pan to medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the onions, jalapeno and poblano peppers and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the frozen Ore-Ida® hash browns and break apart. Cook covered, stirring once halfway through until the hash browns are browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the green onions and cook for 2 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper and whisk until well blended.
To assemble, spray a deep 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the onion and hash brown mixture evenly at the bottom of the baking dish. Drizzle a layer of Heinz® Jalapeno Ketchup over the hash brown mixture, about ¼ cup.
Place the bread cubes evenly on top. Cut the cooked sausage links into quarters and spread evenly over the bread cubes. Pour the milk and egg mixture over these layers.
Sprinkle the cheddar cheese and then place the remaining whole rings of jalapeno peppers evenly on top of the casserole. Finish with the jack cheese.
Bake, uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes until puffed and golden brown and to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Drizzle remaining ¼ cup Heinz® Jalapeno Ketchup over hash brown bake, garnish with reserved green onions and serve.